Here are a few bullet points on tonight’s mayoral election:
• Though Verplanck lost 93 votes from his November totals, they would not have been enough to overcome Fields. In November Fields trailed Verplanck by a mere 244 votes. He more than overcame that deficit by adding 659 votes to his November total.
• There were 43 fewer total absentee voters than in November: 3294 to 3251
• However, the absentee voters turned out for Fields. 63.28% of his gain came there (417 of his 659 additional votes)
• In the absentee votes, Fields gained 13.5 percentage points. From 35.6% of absentee votes in November to 48.9% of the absentee votes in Dec. Verplanck gained 2.6%.
• All precincts reported fewer voters in December than November.
• From the November election to the December election, Verplanck lost votes in 14 of the 25 precincts. Fields lost votes in 4 of the 25 precincts.
• Elliott Dorsch endorsed Gow Fields. Dorsch carried a single precinct in November (201) with 87 votes. In the December race, Fields gained only 22 votes to Verplanck’s 34 vote gain in that precinct. Narrowly missing in November, Fields took the precinct in December.
• Fields greatest gains came in precincts 221 and 229. In precinct 221, Fields added 46 votes from November to December, but Verplanck lost 46 votes to give Fields a 92 vote gain. In precinct 229, Fields added 22 votes and Verplanck lost 29 votes for a 51 vote Fields gain.
• In the four precincts Fields lost votes from November to December, he lost a mere 22 votes from his November totals. In the 14 precincts where Verplanck lost votes, he lost an average of approximately 18 votes per precinct.
• Fields captured three precincts he lost in November – 120, 201, 223
• Verplanck captured eight precincts and the absentee vote. However, Fields gained on Verplanck in all but one of those precincts. (One had no change.)
• In the only positive result for Verplanck, precinct 230, he gained 24 votes over his November totals. Fields lost 7 votes in precinct 230 to give Verplanck a 31 vote gain.
I’ll post the usual spreadsheet in the morning…
A couple of additional points…
• For the most part, the runoff election was a success. While only 16.8% of registered voters participated in the election, it was higher than expected. In November 19.5% of those registered voted.
• Total voters in December was at 86.5% of the voters in November. No precinct tallied more voters in December than in November. Voters in precinct 205 came back at 92.3% of their November numbers. The voters in precinct 119 came back at only 71.2% of their November total.
Here’s the spreadsheet: