Some thoughts on the election results below:
• Polk County Election officials reported 10,729 total votes out of 54961 registered Lakeland voters. That’s 19.52% turnout.
• Mayor race: Gow Fields carried 14 precincts, Jim Verplanck 10 (& absentee voters), & Elliott Dorsch carried his home precinct 201
• In District C: Michael Dunn carried 10 precincts. Don Selvage (15 & absentee voters). Selvage might want to reach out to voters in precincts 204 (20.4% of vote) & 205 (26% of vote). Both districts were overwhelmingly for his opponent. Dunn also captured over 60% of the vote in precincts 119 and 210.
• In District A: Phillip Walker carried 21 precincts, Clarence Grier 2 precincts, and Rusty Shirah also carried 2. However, Shirah finished second in 11 precincts Walker carried.
• In the At-Large #1 race Wiggs won all 25 precincts and the absentee votes. The best Boedicker precinct by percentage was the 201st where he captured 41% of the vote.
• Verplanck received 1598 absentee votes for about 36% of his total vote | Fields had 1174 absentee votes for 28% of his total
• Absentee voters most “helped” Verplanck (36% of total votes) & Grier (33.5%). Selvage & Dunn each had about 31%
• If one believes absentee voters are “most committed” to candidates that bodes well for Verplanck (1598) & Walker (1327) in run-off elections.
• The run off election for Mayor and District A is December 8th. Joining them is the election for District D with Edie Yates defending her seat against Patrick Shawn Jones and Preston Studstill.
• Though I’m not a campaign manager, and never played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn, I’ll throw out some precincts where Gow Fields and Jim Verplanck might want to do a little extra campaigning before December 8th: 117, 120, 224.
Note: Those following Lakeland Local on Twitter received election results last night as they were posted…along with some of the facts and speculations reported in this article. You can get Lakeland news and information @lakelandlocal.
Key: Grey cells are precincts the candidate carried. The pale yellow cells are those where Ricky Shirah finished second to Phillip Walker.