Wednesday, I attended the Lakeland Citizen’s Academy class at the Lakeland Fire Department. My general impression was the department is highly trained and motivated. Chief Mike Mohler, personally took the time to talk to us about the LFD. Afterwards, the men and women of Station 1 gave us a demonstration of Basic and Advanced Life Support calls, and a quick tour of the station.
Some facts that lingered:
• The LFD is the only department in Polk County to do their own arson investigations.
• The arson investigators have a 90% conviction rate.
• The LFD covers about 80 square miles. With about 19,400 runs in 2006.
• Medical runs account for about 86% of LFD activity.
• The newest station will be located at the airport.
• The airport will have an engine company, rescue unit, and a ladder company.
• Fire trucks cost about $400,000 each. The airport truck cost $825,000
• Concerning hazardous materials runs, the chief considered sulfuric acid railroad cars Lakeland’s biggest threat.
I’ve put together a simple map to show the locations of Lakeland’s seven fire stations.